The Earth Quakes Again

Of all calamities, I am afraid of earthquakes most of all.  Maybe it is because I am not reassured by man-made infrastructures.  And maybe because for me, being buried alive is the worst thing that could happen.  

I have been preparing myself for an earthquake for the past year or so.  I remember going to work always with a bottle of water, food and flashlight in my bag.  I was also looking where to buy a whistle that I could hang on to my neck.  Yes, I was that paranoid.  I even wanted every one in my family to do the same but they just think I'm just over doing it.  

No one can get ready for a disaster such as this.  And I don't think I could be paranoid enough to be ready for it.  

After more than a year of being anxious (most of the time), Manila has not experienced any earthquakes (and dear Lord, please keep it that way).  Instead, world news has reported several of them in other parts of the world including that of Haiti's.  

A couple of days ago, there was one in Baguio city.  After hearing the news, I was afraid that we would be experiencing the same thing in the Metro soon.  But then early today, there were breaking news in local and cable tv channels that there was a massive earthquake in New Zealand.  

After seeing the videos on tv, I was afraid that if the 6.3 magnitude occurred in the country, we wouldn't be able to handle it well.  I don't know if there was enough (willing) manpower that would be ready to manually move rubles in order to dig up those who were buried alive.  

Both high and low rise buildings were not spared from the calamity in New Zealand.  It is a frightening thought that there is nothing that could withstand an earthquake like it.  

... This just in.  Nasugbu, Batangas experienced a 4.1 magnitude earthquake.  It just missed us by two days.  We were there last Saturday.  And the news says that in QC and Pasig City, there was also an earthquake.  I didn't notice it.  Okay, so my previous statements has been refuted.

I just want to share this prayer that my father shared to me before.

ORATIO IMPERATA
for deliverance from calamities

Almighty Father, we raise our hearts to You in gratitude for the wonders of creation
of which we are part, for Your Providence in sustaining our needs,
and for Your Wisdom that guides the course of the universe.

We acknowledge our sins against You and the rest of creation.
We have not been good stewards of Nature.
We have confused Your command to subdue the Earth.

The environment is made to suffer our wrongdoings.
And now, we reap the harvest of our abuse and indifference.

Global warming is upon us, typhoons, floods, volcanic eruptions
and other natural calamities occur in increasing numbers and intensity.

We turn to You, our loving Father, and beg forgiveness for our sins.
We ask that we, our loved ones and our hard earned possessions
be spared from the threat of calamities, natural and man-made.

We beseech You to inspire us all to grow into responsible stewards of Your creation
and generous neighbors to those in need.

Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee And Mormons

Couldn't Help Myself

My Life In Ruins